I’ve been having all sorts of fun (and frustration) learning how to do more complicated image editing and thought I’d share my latest.
On the wonderful snow days of Dec 25 & 26, 2012 (oh how they will be fondly remembered) I took the following photo.
Pleasing to the eye it is.
Based on learning to use masks in Gimp which I’ve been using to enhance my bracketed sky shots and a few single frames I decided to apply the glernin to an “older” picture.
Thence, the following:
Hey, wait a minute. Looking at the latter picture by itself I liked the changes. Even toggling the mask layer on and off I really felt the new version was much better.
Seeing them side by side like this I’m not so sure. The rose pops out more in the first version and remains as the focus of the picture. In the latter more can be seen but that takes focus away from the rose.
So a few days ago I took some time out from working to act like a kid and play in the snow. The result was an ok sculptureof Orthanc that was apparently good enough that several people managed to guess what it was without any prompting. Oh, and I made a crappy snowman that I’m not going to show you a picture of.