VRP-M Lessons Learned

For almost two months now, I’ve been working to figure out the exposure and processing steps to use in order to get bright and clean transmission holograms using my Coherent 315M and VRP-M film.

After blowing through roughly 68 pieces of film (mostly 1.5×1" in size) I think I’ve finally nailed the process to use for transmission masters.

Continue reading “VRP-M Lessons Learned”

Experimenting with delayed development

JohnK on the holography forum had asked if I’d experienced any problems with delayed development of VRP-M.  He’s been working on making holograms using a Coherent 315 and VRP-M film and was wondering VRP-M was sensitive to delays of several hours between exposure and development.

I normally develop right after exposure but did the following test to find out how VRP-M behaves.

Continue reading “Experimenting with delayed development”

Holography labcast 2

It’s time for another labcast and this time I’m experimenting with making a copy onto PFG-01 from a test "master" made using the 315M and VRP-M film.

The final test turned out pretty decent and was exposed for 12s, developed for 30s in TJ1 and bleached with EDTA.

The final image isn’t as bright as I’d want if this weren’t just a quick test but overall it’s not bad. I may have time tomorrow morning to try another test with fresh developer but then again all my time might be spent watching the lunar eclipse.

Here’s the cast. Let me know what you think.

Let there be green

After several days of tests I’ve gotten a couple of decent transmission holograms on VRP-M using a Coherent 315m.

GreenShot1

Continue reading “Let there be green”

Dolmen work III

The dolmen work is proceeding. Things have been slow this week but since the last update I’ve made masters for the main dolmen and the lit interior.

Here are two thumbnail views of the transmission masters.

Continue reading “Dolmen work III”

Dolmen work II

The dolmen is moving along (slowly, but moving) and last night I did a reflection color test to find out what concentration of TEA (triethanolamine) to use to get some interesting colors in the final hologram.

As a test I prepared some 2, 3, and 4% solutions of TEA and cut up a 4×6" piece of film into three sections.

the TEA was fleshly prepared and still warm and each piece of film was soaked for about a minute, squeegeed and left to dry for 30 minutes in my drying box.

The subject was a simple background that I could use to easily judge the differences in color.

After a 10s exposure the strips were developed in JD2 and bleached with EDTA and dried.

I ended up with a range of colors from yellow-red to gold that should work well in the final hologram.

At the moment I’m thinking of using a subtle range of colors rather than the more easily made red/green/orange I was thinking of. Something more along the lines of orange for the moon, golden for the terrain and a fire red for the inside of the dolmen where a fire might be.

With luck I’ll do the masters this weekend

Green transmission test 2

Ok, so you’re wondering where’s the post for Green transmission test 1?

There isn’t one.

I did do a test with my new laser a few days ago (ok, last Friday) but it was hastily prepared in Susan’s office on the home-made breadboard with the laser set up on her desk and the breadboard about 8′ away on the floor. The shutter was and old-school piece of black cardboard.

The image was really dim and the polarization was such that there are lines caused by light bouncing between the glass plates holding the film but there is an image and it’s pretty deep.

So anyway, on to GTT2…

Continue reading “Green transmission test 2”

The making of “Friends”

Friends Hologram of Snoopy and WoodstockFor the latest Holography Forum contest I made a hologram of Snoopy and Woodstock.

I’d originally planned for the final hologram to be a bit different but I’m happy with what I’ve got.

Read on for the making of Friends.

Continue reading “The making of “Friends””

Day of the Dead

A few weeks ago I started work on a hologram inpired by Pirates of the Caribbean and began carving a medallion that I wanted to look like the medallion featured in the movie. Unfortunately my sculpting skills aren’t yet up to that task but I was able to produce a medallion that is more appropriate for a Day of the Dead celebration and set about making a hologram of that.

Continue reading “Day of the Dead”

Sand Dollar two channel

Back on June 5th I wrote about some problems producing a master two channel of a sand dollar. I’ve since worked out the problems and made a few copies.

Continue reading “Sand Dollar two channel”